OTTAWA — The source of a strong, natural gas-like odour this week in multiple locations in southeast Ottawa — which caused the precautionary evacuation of four radio stations — is still unknown.
The odours began entering the studios of 1310 NEWS, Tuesday morning, as well as the studios of other radio stations in the Rogers Radio building. The odour prompted facility management to order staff to evacuate the building.
Ottawa Fire was called to locations on St-Laurent Boulevard, Stevenage Drive and Thurston Drive for reports of the smell of natural gas. Enbridge said there was no gas leak.
A spokesperson for the provincial Ministry of the Environment said neither its Ottawa regional office nor its Spills Action Centre received any complaints about the odour, but that the Ministry would look into any concerns if it was contacted.
Last week, a sulphur-like smell was reported in the south end of London, Ont., which was traced back to a wastewater treatment facility within a business.