OTTAWA — Canada’s foreign ministry says it’s disappointed by the Philippines’ decisions to recall its ambassador and consuls over festering trash.
The department says Canada has “repeatedly conveyed” to the Philippines government it is committed to ship and dispose of Canadian garbage that’s been stuck in a Philippine port for years.
Ottawa has faced pressure to take back dozens of containers full of garbage that Philippine officials say were illegally shipped there years ago.
The country’s president, Rodrigo Duterte, threatened last month to forcibly ship the containers of garbage back to Canada and dump some at its embassy in Manila if Canadian officials failed to take back the waste.
Officials later set a May 15 deadline for Canada to comply.
Global Affairs says it is moving ahead on finalizing arrangements for the return of the waste to Canada and it will closely engage the country to ensure there’s a “swift resolution.”
The Canadian Press