Your daily look at late breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TROPICAL STORM LASHES SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
Barry’s wind and rain start to lash Louisiana as New Orleans and coastal communities brace for a drenching from what’s expected to be the first hurricane of the season.
2. PRESIDENT ABANDONS BID TO INCLUDE CITIZENSHIP QUESTION ON CENSUS
Trump abandoned his effort to insert a citizenship question into next year’s census, directing federal agencies to try to compile the information using existing databases instead.
3. WHO WAS ARRESTED AGAIN ON FEDERAL SEX CHARGES
Singer R. Kelly was arrested in Chicago on a federal grand jury indictment listing 13 counts including sex crimes and obstruction of justice.
4. INDIA SHOOTING FOR THE MOON
India is looking to take a giant leap in its space program and solidify its place among the world’s spacefaring nations with its second unmanned mission to the moon.
5. TRUMP UNLOADS ON PAUL RYAN
The president via Twitter called the Republican former House Speaker a “lame duck failure.” Ryan is very critical of Trump in a new book which says he could not stand the idea of another two years with the president and saw retirement as an “escape hatch.”
6. PENTAGON IN LEADERSHIP LIMBO
The United States still has no confirmed defence secretary even with the nation facing potential armed conflict with Iran.
7. FRESHMEN DEMOCRATS IN SPOTLIGHT AT IMMIGRATION HEARING
Four Democratic freshmen who reported squalid conditions at migrant detention stations at the southern border are taking the spotlight at a House committee hearing.
8. WHAT IS BECOMING A NEW FLASHPOINT FOR HOUSE DEMOCRATS
Race has become a new flashpoint in the debate between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other House Democrats over migrant children in detention at the border.
9. CHINA IMPORTS FROM THE U.S. PLUNGE 31 Per cent
Imports of U.S. goods fell 31.4% from a year earlier to $9.4 billion, while exports to the American market declined 7.8% to $39.3 billion, customs data shows.
10. WHICH TOP NBA POINT GUARDS ARE SWAPPED IN TRADE
A person with knowledge of the situation says the Oklahoma City Thunder have traded Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul.
The Associated Press