OTTAWA – Check out local and community events happening this weekend!
MOSAIKA: CANADA THROUGH THE EYES OF ITS PEOPLE (Until Sep 6)
- Parliament Hill
- Show runs 30 minutes. Nightly at 10 p.m. in July, 9:30 p.m. in August and 9 p.m. in September.
STARTING THURSDAY – AUGUST 9
- Dominion-Chalmers United Church, Ottawa
- 20th anniversary! The world’s largest chamber music festival presents concerts in beautiful Ottawa churches and offers a wide array of music.
FRIDAY & SATURDAY
GLENGARRY HIGHLAND GAMES
- Maxville, ON
- Witness traditional Scottish events with over 60 pipe bands, 200 Highland dancers, sports, pageantry and tradition.
OTTAWA BUSKER FESTIVAL
- Sparks Street, Ottawa
- Very unorthodox entertainment by street performers from around the world. Clowns, jugglers, acrobats and magic tricks. Free admission but donations appreciated.
- AUGUST 1 – AUGUST 4, 2014
- For lots of excitement, take in the Demolition Derby (Friday evening), the Antique and Farm Stock Tractor Pull with a Lawn and Garden Tractor Pull on Saturday, and the 4×4 Truck Pull on Sunday. A Horse and Pony Pulls on Monday rounds out the four day fair.
- Like it a little quieter? Sit and enjoy yourself in our tree-shaded park complete with picnic tables. Every afternoon there is on- going entertainment of a wide variety on the park stage.
- Top entertainment will be featured for the Friday, Saturday
MUSLIM SUMMER FESTIVAL
- Sat, August 02, 2014
- The Muslim Summer Festival has been recognized by the City of Ottawa as a city-wide festival. In an effort to continue to celebrate all cultural and religious backgrounds, our festival theme is “The World in One City”. More than 20 countries are represented in this festival by friendly and knowledgeable volunteers. Each booth provides a new and exciting perspective of their country through their cultural food, clothing, art, history and much more. Countries like Egypt, Lebanon, Malaysia, Morocco, Pakistan, Somalia and Turkey are just a small example of the diversity that can be found at The Muslim Summer Festival.
- In addition, there is plenty of family entertainment, competitions, and great ethnic food.
- Event Information: 613.321.5002 firstname.lastname@example.org
COLONEL BY NIGHT
- CHOO|COPO presents for the second year: Colonel By Night, Sunday August 3, 3-7 pm in the ByWard Market.
- This special free community event will feature the unveiling of new heritage panels, period costume characters and music, special themed food & beverage demos and samples, and engaging talks on the contribution of different groups to the development of Bytown and Lowertown.
- Speakers include: Ken Clavette (Worker’s History Museum), Hagit Hadaya (Author) and Jean Yves Pelletier (Council of Heritage Organizations in Ottawa). Location: ByWard Market, beside The Bay on George Street near Sussex Dr. Colonel By Night will also kick off Colonel By Day which takes place Monday August 4, at the Rideau Canal locks.
- Location: ByWard Market, 55 Byward Market Square, Ottawa
COLONEL BY DAY
- Celebrate the holiday named for Ottawa’s founding father with live music, dancing, heritage demonstrators, costumed characters and games and face painting for kids!
- Bytown Museum
OTTAWA INTERNATIONAL BUSKERFEST (Jul 31-Aug 4)
- 11am-11pm daily on Sparks Street
TORCHLIGHT SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL: AS YOU LIKE IT
- ONGOING UNTIL AUG 16, 2014
- A Company of Fools is back with the ever popular Torchlight Shakespeare – bringing Shakespeare to Ottawa’s parks all summer long! This season the hilarious romantic comedy As You Like It will play in parks across Ottawa.
- Meet the Fools I’the Forest! The Forest of Arden, a place of exile for Duke Senior, becomes a hotbed of foolishness and fun. True romance conquers all in this fabulous, family friendly, fairy-tale-esque, frivolous, fuzzy, flamingo-loving… FESTIVITY!
- A cast & crew of new and familiar faces: 6 Actors, countless Roles, 1 Hot Capital! Directed by Matthew John Lundvall, this season’s cast includes: Scott Florence, Catriona Leger, Kate MacArthur Geoff McBride and Katie Ryerson in a plethora of roles and lightening quick costume changes. Costume and Puppet Design by Vanessa Imeson.
- Info/Media Requests: 613.863.7529 | email@example.com-Location: Various Parks in Ottawa-Tickets: Suggested donation of $15 per person onsite.-www.fools.ca
KANATA LASERS GOLF CLASSIC-ANNUAL COMMUNITY EVENT
- August 12, 2014 at the Glen Mar Golf & Country Club
- $125.00/player or $500.00/foursome
- includes green fee, cart, raffle tickets, roast beef buffet dinner and more!
- For more information or to register contact Kaitlyn Nuttall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-854-5249
SWING DANCE FOR THE WIN
- Join the Women’s Integration Network Inc. in partnership with Cuppa Soup for a fabulous evening of live swing music and dancing August 16th at the Churchill Community Centre, in support of vulnerable women in Canada
- Introductory swing dance lesson at 6:30pm and dancing starts at 7:30pm
- All proceeds will support the Women’s Integration Network Inc.
- Guests are invited to turn out in their best vintage style and compete for prizes for best dressed, as well as show off their moves for a social dancing competition! Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door ($10/15 for students) available at www.winwomen.ca or call 613-612-5476
CAR SHOW AND BBQ
- METCALFE FAIRGROUNDS
- AUGUST 23 2014 8AM-3PM
- To donate a gift for raffle contact Ashley: email@example.com
- To make a donation please visit: www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/car-lover-needs-tune-up/206869
- To register your car contact Jean: Parts@ottawadodge.com
LIGHT THE NIGHT WALK
- October 18, 2014
- Marion Dewar Plaza, Ottawa City Hall
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada’s® Light The Night® Walk is the nation’s night to pay tribute and bring hope to all those affected by blood cancer
- Join us as we celebrate our 5 year walk anniversary and take steps towards a world without blood cancer.
- Start 530pm – Walk 7pm – End 9pm.
- For more information or to register, Visit out website at www.lightthenight.ca/on
MADAWASKA VALLEY STUDIO TOUR TWICE AS GOOD IN 2014: TWO WEEKENDS THIS YEAR.
- Two separate weekends with thirty-one artists and artisans make this year’s expanded Madawaska Valley Studio Tour the biggest and best ever.
- Come out and enjoy art, crafts, inspiration and spectacular scenery on July 26-27 and October 4-5.
- Brochures are at Tourist Information Centres and business locations throughout the Valley. www.madawaskastudiotour.com
FEMMELINX WOMEN’S NETWORK INC. GRAND OPENING
- Saturday, September 6th, 2014
- Curtain Opens 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.-Meet and Greet 9:00 to 10:30 p.m.
- École secondaire publique De la Salle
- 501, ancienne rue St-Patrick | Ottawa ON K1N 8R3
- Please visit us at www.femmelinx.com for more details!