VARS, ON – Ottawa fire crews were called to a home in Vars on Saturday afternoon.
When they arrived at the family home on Division Street around 5:30 p.m. the building was fully engulfed in flames.
It took crews nearly two hours to get the blaze under control.
After the fire was out, they noticed a natural gas leak and called in Enbridge.
40 homes were evacuated as Enbridge crews worked to patch the leak.
Ottawa’s Salvation Army were on the scene to provide hot meals to fire fighters and those affected by the gas leak.
Residents were allowed back into their homes around 3 a.m. Sunday.
No injuries were reported.
Damages are pegged at $200,000.